Welcome issue

Feb 25, 2013 at 12:30 AM
Hello,

I would like to participate and help with project. I passed the issue tracker, but I'm not sure which one is optimal in the beginning. Could you recomment me some issue to start with?

Thanks
Feb 26, 2013 at 2:58 AM
Great to hear that you're interested in joining! Here's a few that may be easier to work on... let me know if you want to discuss any of these.
Once you choose one you like I can help you with getting started. See http://sando.codeplex.com/documentation for instructions on how to setup the development environment.
Feb 26, 2013 at 10:47 PM
Edited Feb 26, 2013 at 10:47 PM
Thanks for answer.

I setup the environment today. I'm using VS2012 for development and VS2010 for testing.
I had to do a little "UTFG" because of installing Sando to VS2010 Experimental instance for testing. I compiled the project, instaled the UI.vsix file from bin folder, but I saw Sando in VS2010 only. I didnt saw it in extension manager in VS2010 Experimental instance. I had to run "Reset the Microsoft Visual studio Experimental instance" from VS2010 SDK to copy the instaled extension. It could be hint for other starting developers.

However everything is working now and I decided to try issue number 227. If you got some informatin to start, I would be grateful.
Feb 27, 2013 at 1:57 AM
> I compiled the project, instaled the UI.vsix file from bin folder, but I saw Sando in VS2010 only.......
> It could be hint for other starting developers.

You're right, sorry about that. I have updated the directions here:

Make sure you follow those instead of installing via the UI.vsix file. You will need to run "Reset the Experimenatl instance" from VS2010 SDK again prior to following my updated directions.

As far as #227 goes I would recommend just creating a progress monitor right below the search box that displays the progress when you open a solution. It will be really tricky to figure out the number of files in the solution, however, so for starters you can just have an "unlimited" progress monitor that listens for the "startup completed" event that the _srcMlArchive throws. Search Sando (using Sando!) for solution about to be opened.... that may be a good starting place. The UI is implemented as a single xaml file and is in the UI project called SearchViewControl.xaml.

Hope this helps!
Dave

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 5:47 PM, macsdani <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Thanks for answer.

I setup the environment today. I'm using VS2012 for development and VS2010 for testing.
I had to do a little "UTFG" because of installing Sando to VS2010 Experimental instance for testing. I compiled the project, instaled the UI.vsix file from bin folder, but I saw Sando in VS2010 only. I didnt saw it in extension manager in VS2010 Experimental instance. I had to run "Reset the Microsoft Visual studio Experimental instance" from VS2010 SDK to copy the instaled extension. It could be hint for other starting developers.

However everything is working now and I decided to try issue number 227. If you got some informatin to start, I would be grateful.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (sando@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email sando@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

--
http://twitter.com/davidcshepherd
Mar 9, 2013 at 8:05 PM
Hi,

Should I make a fork, for the changes? Or what is the best way to add code changes?
Mar 9, 2013 at 8:13 PM
Can just add a branch with ur changes and let me know when ur ready for review. Just keep it in sync with the default branch.
Apr 22, 2013 at 9:46 PM
Edited Apr 22, 2013 at 10:18 PM
progressMonitor branch added. Sorry for delay, I had to work on my thesis...
Could you review it and give me feadback please. Thanks.
Apr 25, 2013 at 2:25 PM
Hi Macsdani,

Thanks for contributing this!! I am slammed this week but hope to review this contribution early next week. Thanks again for the contribution!

-Dave
May 5, 2013 at 9:35 PM
Hi Dave,

It would be great if you manage it to this Wednesday, because I did this contribution as part of my school lecture "Open Source Programming" and I would like to present my results on Thursday. Thanks

Daniel
May 6, 2013 at 8:22 PM
Edited May 6, 2013 at 8:23 PM
Hi macsdani,

I have reviewed and pushed this change to HEAD (https://sando.codeplex.com/SourceControl/changeset/3fe8670d0fec), and so it will go into the next release (ETA - 2 weeks).

You might share with your classmates that this particular change was very easy to review and accept for the following reasons:
  • It was terse - It used as few changes as possible to get the job done, which makes it quick to review and easy-to-understand.
  • It was 'safe' - I did not see any code that could trigger uncaught exceptions, so even if the code failed it would not crash Sando.
  • It worked - While I ran it several times, I only really had to run this code once (after looking at it) to have confidence that it would likely work all the time.
  • It used good identifiers - The method and variable names you used made sense, and made the code easier to read.
  • It has good style - The code was generally well-structured, etc.
The only improvements to future contributions I'd suggest is to include a test case that exercises the functionality, which was not reasonable to do for your contribution since we don't have a GUI testing framework setup. Adding test cases applies more to back end contributions (for Sando), although we'd love to have some GUI tests at some point in the future.

Great work and I hope to review more of your contributions in the future! Let me know if you need a task to work on.

All the best,
David
May 9, 2013 at 12:31 PM
Hi,

thanks for detailed feedback. I will consider more work after I will complete my exams.

Daniel
May 14, 2013 at 5:02 PM
Hi Daniel,

We would definitely welcome future contributions from you! There will be a significant amount of activity on Sando this summer (starting next week) so it would be a fun time for you to be more involved, if you decide you want to.

All the best,
David
May 27, 2013 at 7:27 PM
Hi David,

I will have more time after 9th of July. I would like to be more involved in the Sando project. So it would be great, if you could prepare some issues for me, or let me know how I can help.

Regards
Daniel
May 29, 2013 at 2:24 AM
Sounds great! This is shaping up to be an exciting summer for Sando, as there's also an intern, a professor, and myself working this summer. Let me know when you're ready and we'll have some tasks waiting for you. If you enjoy the UI code we really need some focus there, but if not there are plenty of other tasks in the backlog.

All the best,
David
Jun 12, 2013 at 10:44 PM
So I am in! Ready for tasks :) I dont have much experience with XAML, but I'm not afraid to learn something new. However I feel stronger in programing background logic...
Jun 13, 2013 at 3:21 AM
Here are a few options, please let me know which you prefer and I will provide additional guidance on that particular task:

Add a stopword list to the indexing of the document bodies - https://sando.codeplex.com/workitem/219
Trigger Sando searches automatically when user stops typing - https://sando.codeplex.com/workitem/173
Make sure when indexing methods, that the comments just above methods are indexed as part of the method body - https://sando.codeplex.com/workitem/252

-Dave
Jun 15, 2013 at 2:37 PM
I will do #173 - automaticall start of search..
Jun 17, 2013 at 3:09 PM
Great! FYI, there is one known bug with Sando's default branch right now... The index may become corrupted during as you conduct testing (only in your testing version). Thus, you may have to delete the 'lucene' and 'SrcMLArchives' folders from your extension folder (e.g., ...\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0Exp\Extensions\David Shepherd, Bartosz Ropski, Kostadin Damevski\Sando Code Search Tool\0.420\) during testing. Deleting these will cause Sando to reindex the solution when you reopen it.
-Dave