Getting Started with VS2010

Oct 31, 2012 at 5:24 PM

I'm interested in working on this project an am trying to use VS2010.

Right now I'm working on creating a solution file and adding the individual projects into that new solution.

Not sure if this is possible, but in theory, VS2012 was not supposed to be a breaking change from VS2010.  Wish me luck.

My intent is to use this thread to track my progress, and / or get help.

Thanks in advance.

Oct 31, 2012 at 5:29 PM

The version in HEAD (default branch) should now support VS2012. Give it a try - we were desperately looking for some more people to do so.

Oct 31, 2012 at 6:17 PM

My first snag is with Code Contracts.

I have installed CodeContracts on my machine.

I created a blank solution to hold the core projects

I attempted to add Core.csproj I get the following message:

---------------------------
Microsoft Visual Studio
Unable to read the project file 'Core.csproj'.

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\4.0\Microsoft.Common.targets\ImportAfter\CodeContractsAfter.targets(6,3): The imported project "C:\work\_Sando\Core\LIBS\Contracts\MsBuild\v4.0\Microsoft.CodeContracts.targets" was not found. Confirm that the path in the <Import> declaration is correct, and that the file exists on disk.
OK  

Opening up the Core.csproj in note pad shows:

<CodeContractsInstallDir>$(SolutionDir)\..\LIBS\Contracts\</CodeContractsInstallDir>

Changing the line to

<CodeContractsInstallDir>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\4.0\Microsoft.Common.Targets\ImportAfter\</CodeContractsInstallDir>

seems inelegant at best (and it didn't work)

I've done a bit of googling for an answer and am currently stumped.

The best answer I have found seems to be at:

http://www.techques.com/question/1-4291254/Microsoft-Code-Contracts-without-Visual-Studio

Which is pointing me at the CodeContracts documentation (Appendix A.1 MsBuild Integration) and at this moment I am underwater just trying to get the project to load.

I'm really hoping that someone has a bit I can flip that will allow me load and build Sando.

Thanks.

Malcolm

Oct 31, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Kostata

Thank you for your amazingly quick reply.

I'm using VS2010 Pro on a Win 7 Pro box.

I just pulled the updates and am still not able to load the Core.csproj

Oct 31, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Try switching from Debug to Release, should avoid code contract problems

On Oct 31, 2012 1:17 PM, "manderson" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

My first snag is with Code Contracts.

I have installed CodeContracts on my machine.

I created a blank solution to hold the core projects

I attempted to add Core.csproj I get the following message:

Microsoft Visual Studio
Unable to read the project file 'Core.csproj'.

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\4.0\Microsoft.Common.targets\ImportAfter\CodeContractsAfter.targets(6,3): The imported project "C:\work\_Sando\Core\LIBS\Contracts\MsBuild\v4.0\Microsoft.CodeContracts.targets" was not found. Confirm that the path in the <Import> declaration is correct, and that the file exists on disk.
OK

Opening up the Core.csproj in note pad shows:

<CodeContractsInstallDir>$(SolutionDir)\..\LIBS\Contracts\</CodeContractsInstallDir>

Changing the line to

<CodeContractsInstallDir>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\4.0\Microsoft.Common.Targets\ImportAfter\</CodeContractsInstallDir>

seems inelegant at best (and it didn't work)

I've done a bit of googling for an answer and am currently stumped.

The best answer I have found seems to be at:

http://www.techques.com/question/1-4291254/Microsoft-Code-Contracts-without-Visual-Studio

Which is pointing me at the CodeContracts documentation (Appendix A.1 MsBuild Integration) and at this moment I am underwater just trying to get the project to load.

I'm really hoping that someone has a bit I can flip that will allow me load and build Sando.

Thanks.

Malcolm

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (sando@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email sando@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Oct 31, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Just to be clear...

Are you trying to build Sando in VS2012?

OR

Are you trying to install Sando into VS2012?

If you're trying to build Sando in VS2012 it will probably ask you to do a 1-way upgrade when you open in the first time, but should compile after that.  If the code contracts are causing you problems you can turn them off by changing the target (in the toolbar at the top of VS) to Release from Debug.

Oct 31, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Nope, I am trying to build Sando in VS2010.

I have installed the Sando distro on my VS2010 install.

But I can't open up the Sando projects in my copy of VS2010.

Oct 31, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Have you installed the visual studio sdk? It is required to open the ui project.

On Oct 31, 2012 6:18 PM, "manderson" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Nope, I am trying to build Sando in VS2010.

I have installed the Sando distro on my VS2010 install.

But I can't open up the Sando projects in my copy of VS2010.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (sando@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email sando@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Nov 1, 2012 at 1:59 AM

I had not installed the SKD (assumed that it was installed as part of the pro version, my bad)

I have now installed it (and rebooted the machine) and am still getting the same issue with "Unable to ready project file 'Core.csproj'

Nov 1, 2012 at 2:45 AM

Once you have Contracts + SDK + VS2010 downloaded, you just open the solution provided in the sando/Sando directory. There is no need to make a solution of your own (saw you were trying that above). We are all using VS2010 to develop so it should work "out of the box".

If this does not fix your problem, the only other thing I can think of is some sort of permissions issue... 

Nov 1, 2012 at 5:33 AM

Ah Ha !!!!

I was manually pawing through the directories looking for a solutions file, but apparently stopped before getting to the sando/Sando directory.

Now to start spelunking.

Thank you.

Nov 1, 2012 at 5:11 PM
Edited Nov 1, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Next issue, NUnit:

Do we need to specify NUnit 2.5?

I installed the current version of NUnit (2.6) and when I tried to open one of the test projects I got the following. 

NUnit
Test load failed!

System.IO.FileNotFoundException : Could not load file or assembly 'nunit.framework, Version=2.5.10.11092, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=96d09a1eb7f44a77' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

For further information, use the Exception Details menu item.
OK  

Nov 2, 2012 at 10:13 PM

I think you can probably just get the newer version of nunit.framework.dll from the installation on your computer, copy it into sando/LIBS (overwrite version 2.5 of this file, which should already be there), and then change the reference in the UI project. Or you could just install nunit 2.5.