Feature suggestion: search arbitrary directory

Sep 9, 2014 at 2:31 PM
Hi, Team,

Thanks for the nice tool. Just wondering if it's possible to decouple the dependency on a VS solution, in that you keep current function but allow the user to choose a directory and start search from there? It would be hugely useful to search anything not really in a solution.

Best regards,

Dong
Sep 9, 2014 at 2:51 PM
Hi Dong,

Thanks for the suggestion! Two things...

First, if you have a solution open already you can add arbitrary directories to those being searched. To do so, click on the folder being shown in Sando (upper right of Sando window) and you can add arbitrary directories. Does this meet your use case? FYI, one workaround is to create an empty project and then add the directories you want to search to that project.

Secondly, we likely could do this, as we have unit tests that run without a solution open, but it is somewhat weird, as most other tools in Visual Studio only are populated when there is a solution open. Can you explain a little more about your use case if you still think this is important? We'll use your reasoning to create a backlog item.
Sep 9, 2014 at 3:03 PM
Hi, David,

Thanks for the quick reply. In those Agile everything days, one shall never create a new story by imagination. :)

So my story is I got one VS open for a large solution and using sando for searching. I also have another VS open purely to use Server Explorer to look at my Azure storages, then I got a bunch of Azure table dump files, so my immediately action is to go the second VS and start to use sando, and the rest you know.

Given sando itself doesn't necessarily "need" VS solution for any specific features, I still feel better not tie to it. Everything can still stay the same, just give a 'free hand' tool. Or, behave exactly like VS, i.e. if there is solution open, search the solution, if there is not, search a folder the end user choose.

Hope this helps,

Best,

Dong
Sep 9, 2014 at 3:23 PM
Thanks Dong, that does help! I've created this issue in our backlog:

https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/78465152

No promises as to when we'll get to it, but we do hope to start a new sprint in the next few weeks, and there are not many important issues ahead of it.

Thanks again for this valuable feedback!
Dave