Where to put new feature ideas/crazy ideas

Coordinator
Feb 20, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Based on lordlothar's input I've created two new components where we can store our new feature ideas as well as our crazy-new-direction ideas.

• Backlog - use this component for all new features that are relatively straightforward (e.g., allow indexer to index C++ files)
  • Backlog - Crazy Ideas - use this component for new features, weird ideas, or controversial features that we should discuss as a group before implementing (e.g., monitor users and how they search in order to improve Sando or change search mechanism to include program structure metrics such as call links)

Let me know if you have any questions about how to use these components.

Coordinator
May 3, 2012 at 2:28 PM
Edited May 3, 2012 at 2:31 PM

I guess this component never materialized, but I think that now is the time for it to be created - if you all agree. We need a place in the source where all "non-standard" extensions can live. Some of them may mature to become standard parts of Sando, and the ones that do not we can prune once in a while. What do you guys think? 

Coordinator
May 3, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Agreed.  I created the ParserExtensions project that houses an example extension.  Maybe we should just rename that to "ExperimentalExtensions" or something similar?

Coordinator
May 3, 2012 at 4:51 PM

That is what I also had in mind. I made the change just now.

Coordinator
May 4, 2012 at 7:52 PM

In fact there was already a project TestExtensionPoints, but as I understand you want a separate one as an example for the end users with advanced classes that actually do something?

Coordinator
May 4, 2012 at 9:26 PM
Something like that. I am thinking of it in terms of cool experimental extensions, but there could be some simpler, tutorial-type extensions there as well.

On May 4, 2012, at 3:52 PM, lordlothar wrote:

In fact there was already a project TestExtensionPoints, but as I understand you want a separate one as an example for the end users with advanced classes that actually do something?