Sando configuration

Coordinator
Jan 28, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Guys, I think we should talk about the configuration for our plugin. I believe it's important to make some settings configurable by the user.

The first one I think of is the Lucene indexes directory. We can also probably allow user to change the language for the analyzers. I'm sure there will be more of them - I think we need to define them all, decide where to store them (vssettings file, app.config etc) and how to use them - I think it will be a good idea to create a project SandoConfiguration, which will be used by other projects to get the settings values.

What do you think?

Please update the list if anything comes to your mind:

1. Lucene directory - setting type: global.
  2. Language for the analyzers - setting type: per solution.
Coordinator
Jan 28, 2012 at 6:42 PM

I agree, we will definitely need settings, the ability to store them, and the ability to change them.  I created the project files for this (i.e., created Configuration and Configuration.UnitTests).  Feel free to rename them to SandoConfiguration if you'd like, I just wasn't sure whether the above comment meant Sando.Configuration (as in the namespace) or as in the project name.  

For settings, I may include the above plus:

1. Ability to configure the default search (i.e., always search for only methods).
  2. How many results to show per "page" in search results view.
Coordinator
Jan 28, 2012 at 8:26 PM
davidcshepherd wrote:

I agree, we will definitely need settings, the ability to store them, and the ability to change them.  I created the project files for this (i.e., created Configuration and Configuration.UnitTests).  Feel free to rename them to SandoConfiguration if you'd like, I just wasn't sure whether the above comment meant Sando.Configuration (as in the namespace) or as in the project name.

For settings, I may include the above plus:

1. Ability to configure the default search (i.e., always search for only methods).
  2. How many results to show per "page" in search results view.

Great! We may now want to think about the way the global and solution-dependent settings will be stored - I need to check if it's possible to use vssettings file